The Community Foundation of Osceola County (CFOC) presented 37 grants totaling $120,423.74 to organizations and communities throughout Osceola County on January 21st at the Harris Community Center.
The Community Foundation of Osceola County is committed to improving the quality of life throughout Osceola County through its passthrough grant program. Since the CFOC was established, more than $1.2 million has been granted to assist with a wide range of community development projects. 2020 marks the 15thanniversary of the CFOC’s grant program.
The Community Foundation of Osceola County board includes representatives from all over the county. The board for 2019-2020 is Ashton: Brian Mino and Bill Imhoff; Harris: Amy Muftah and Wayne Boyer; Melvin: Jack Benz and Kay Wynja; Ocheyedan: Joe McElroy and Kevin Hertz; Sibley: Lila Hatting and Jerry Johnson; Osceola County: Ed Jones and Jayson VandeHoef. Ex-offico members: Nathan Rockman and Stephanie Neppl. The CFOC is an affiliate of the Community Foundation of Greater Des Moines who provides grant-making guidance and administrative support.
For the 2019-2020 grant cycle, a total of 44 applications was received, and 37 received total or partial funding. Those organizations not funded this year are encouraged to apply for the 2020-2021 grant cycle, which will open up in the fall. Grants are available to 501(c)3 organizations and government entities serving Osceola County.
The following projects were funded for 2020:
- WeCare – $5,000 to sending Veterans on Brushy Creek Honor Flight
- Hawkeye Point Foundation – $5,000 for a Grain Bin Shelter
- City of Harris – $5,000 for Restoration of Old Marshall’s Bldg.
- Osceola Co. Sheriff Office – $5,000 toward Watch Guard VISTA HD Cameras
- Melvin American Legion Auxiliary Unit 470 – $5,000 to repair and update Bathroom in American Legion Bldg.
- Ocheyedan Economic Dev. Corp. – $5,000 for Ocheyedan Town Hall Renovation Kitchen Project
- Osceola County Livestock Show – $5,000 to remodel & update extension & 4-H office
- Sibley Public Library – $5,000 for new patron computers
- May City Comm. Fire Dept. – $5,000 for Building Improvement
- New Beginnings – $5,000 for a Furnace HVAC System for New Beginnings
- Ocheyedan Volunteer Fire Dept. – $5,000 for Equipment Updates
- Osceola Co. Freedom Rock – $5,000 for Life Size Cement Military Statues
- Sibley Iowa Firefighter’s Association – $5,000 for Sibley Fire Dept. Smoke Detector Program
- Ashton Fire Dept. – $4500 for light Replacement For The Grass Rig
- Melvin American Legion Post – $3,900.94 for Veteran Recognition Sign and Soldier Statue
- Ocheyedan Sr. Activity Center – $775.00 for Upgrades for Ocheyedan Sr. Center
- Melvin Area Econ. Dev. Corp. – $4,085.00 to refurbish Patriotic Rock Mural & Add Privacy Fence
- McCullum Museum – $1,600.00 for a box Enclosure for Opera Screen, Electrical & Plumbing
- S-O Science Club – $4,200.00 for S-O Engineering Classroom
- May City Betterment – $1,575.67 for Harrison Township Hall Repairs
- Sibley Betterment- $2,465.67 for Sibley Christmas Tree
- Sibley Outdoor Aquatic Center – $1,015.16 towards a Pool Vacuum
- Ocheyedan Catfish Club -$1,850.00 for Ocheyedan Little League Field Surfacing & Equipment
- Sibley Chamber of Commerce – $500.00 toward Sibley Chamber Parade Float
- Ocheyedan Public Library – $1,901.30 toward Maintaining the Library Exterior
- Sibley Senior Center -$1,500.00 for new tables
- Ashton Legion Auxiliary Post 290 – $1,750.00 for Flag replacements & Sibley Auxiliary Grave Markers
- DeBoer Grocery Museum – $2,000.00 toward their Museum Update & Repair Project
- Harris Fire Department – $1,805.00 Improved Storage Solutions
- Osceola Comm. Hospital Inc. -$2,500.00 toward its campaign for a new 3D Mammography machine
- S-O Athletic Booster Club -$2,500.00 for S-O Outdoor Concessions Stand & bathrooms
- Ashton American Legion Post 290 -$2,500.00 for American Legion Grave Markers
- Ashton Community Center- $2,500.00 for Walk Behind Floor Scrubber
- Union Cemetery Board- 2,500.00 for Union Cemetery Metal Entry Gate
- Bright Beginnings – $2,500.00 for Child Care Gap Analysis & Strategic Plan
- Ashton Public Library – $2,500.00 toward Library Shelving
- Tracy House Museum -$2,500.00 for Shingling, Vacuum Cleaner, Restoration Supplies
For more information:
Osceola County Economic Development Commission